OT: Website craziness

From: John Aldrich 
------------------------------------------------------
So, we have a website at work where we have to submit proposed jobs  
for approval by management. The other day they added some new  
mandatory fields and it now does not work well with Chrome. I  
submitted a request to the help desk to get them to look into it and  
their reply was "the corporate standard is IE8. The (website) is  
running on an older software which will not work with other browsers"
My response was "Well, it WAS working, I'm just asking if maybe some  
tweaks could be made to make it work with other browsers again." I  
wanted to add "anything that is IE-centric is NOT standards-compliant."
Sheesh! Who writes web pages that are IE-only these days???

=============================================================== From: Rod-Lists ------------------------------------------------------ people who don't know any better. Is refusing contact or just rendering wrong. Bellsouth(and other sites) used to refuse Opera browsers until you told opera to id as IE. Worked like a charm after that. I've heard their is a growing backlash among webmasters against IE BTW. ----- Original Message -----

=============================================================== From: John Aldrich ------------------------------------------------------ Quoting Rod-Lists : It (mostly) works fine up until the "submit" button, at which point =20 the button "depresses" but nothing happens. Oh, and certain fields =20 which used to be optional until the next-to-last step are now being =20 marked as "required" if you have to go back to make some changes to a =20 proposed job. And the calendar button no longer works (in Chrome) you =20 have to enter the date manually, but that's a minor glitch, compared =20 to it not allowing you to submit a job unless you're using IE. Our =20 in-house purchasing website (where we order the equipment and labor =20 for approved jobs) is already IE-only, and I live with that, but to go =20 from a page that *used* to work with Chrome to making it IE-only =20 really sucks!

=============================================================== From: Sean Brewer ------------------------------------------------------ Are you guys doing field validation on the server side or the client side?

=============================================================== From: Sean Brewer ------------------------------------------------------ Or both?

=============================================================== From: Tim Youngblood ------------------------------------------------------ This tide has turned recently. IE is no longer the king for our clients. We will still find this trash in companies that do not find an entry in their dictionary for 'innovation.'

=============================================================== From: John Aldrich ------------------------------------------------------ Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. :D Are you guys doing field validation on the server side or the client side?

=============================================================== From: Sean Brewer ------------------------------------------------------ They added new fields. They have to validate (check for empty fields, correct input, etc.) those fields somehow. Sounds like where the form could be failing. If they're doing client-side validation, they're using Javascript to validate those fields. Which, if it's specifically tailored to work with IE, could have issues with Chrome/Firefox/etc.

=============================================================== From: John Aldrich ------------------------------------------------------ Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, the help desk (outsourced, of course ... sounded Indian or Pakistani... hard to tell which, the accents are very similar) asked if I had Javascript enabled, so it sounds like they are using client-side. OTOH, I got an email that they are going to put out some updates to that website Friday which MAY help the issues I've been having. At least I've got IE Tab for those times when I *have* to use IE. :D They added new fields. They have to validate (check for empty fields, correct input, etc.) those fields somehow. Sounds like where the form could be failing. If they're doing client-side validation, they're using Javascript to validate those fields. Which, if it's specifically tailored to work with IE, could have issues with Chrome/Firefox/etc.

=============================================================== From: James Nylen ------------------------------------------------------ Try disabling Javascript... should be "interesting" to see what happens. Somebody wrote some crappy Javascript that doesn't work in real browsers.

=============================================================== From: Sean Brewer ------------------------------------------------------ I misread your original e-mail thinking you guys had something built internally you used. My bad.